Monday, July 29, 2013

A Big First

I've been both dreading and waiting for this day to come.  W's first day of school.  It's been a few weeks now and I have not been able to write about it until now.  Honestly, we're both still having a hard time with the adjustment.  W cried a lot for the first couple of weeks.  But it got better.  He liked school, he just didn't want to be there without me.  That was heartbreaking.  Seeing him cry as I left.... it's a terrible feeling that I will never forget.  I was numb for the first week.  Completely stressed out.  So stressed, in fact, that I got sick.  AGAIN!!!

Wait a minute, I should mention that W missed the entire first official week of school because he was sick.  So, yes, I probably got it from him.  But I'm usually able to fend off these bugs.  I guess when you're that miserable, your defenses weaken.  Anyway, I think he likes his teachers.  Each class has two.  I'm not too sure about one of them.  I guess it's better than being unsure about both of them.  I think I annoy them with my constant....oh, I dunno, concern for my child.  But you know me.  I don't give a shit.  He's a baby and I'm going to make sure he's happy and well taken care of.  Especially with what we're paying... they better not disappoint.

Anyway, I digress.  The bright side to all this is that W doesn't have to stay home and be bored all day like he was.  As for me, I finally get to spend some quality time with awesome N.  I knew N was getting neglected as any baby would with a 2 year old running around.  But after I dropped off W at school and it was just me and my, it was weird.  I was so used to playing with a toddler that I had forgotten how to entertain a baby!!!  It's a work in progress but a lot fun at the same time.

W has a couple of friends at school but they don't really play with each much at this age.  They just kind of stay in the same vicinity.  And lunch has been a challenge.  You can buy a hot meal that they will provide everyday or you just send your kid to school with a lunch bag.  We tried both.  The only thing he'll eat are the fish sticks.  And the only thing I make that he'll eat is rice and seaweed.  LOL!!  We tried the fake peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but he won't eat it.  So it's kimbap every freakin' day.  Sigh.

You know most parents send their kids off to daycare because of work or because they just want to be free of their kid.  Sad but true.  And hey, I'm not judging.  It's not easy being home with the kids all day.  It was getting really hard to watch both kids especially since W is getting older and entertaining him is a lot of work.  Not to mention messy.  Poor kid would just lay on the floor and play with his cars and trains all day long.  Honestly, the guy was horizontal more than he was vertical.  So I knew it was time.  This whole school thing was definitely going to be a challenge because we've been together since the day he was born!!!  That's a long time.  Even now, I can't nap without him.  He was like my teddy bear.

Today, I picked him up from school a little early.  I missed the guy.   But I did take a moment to watch him from a window.  He was sitting in the sandbox with another kid, shoveling sand, getting dirty and having fun.  Breaks my heart to a million pieces.  Everything he does breaks my heart.  Love really does hurt.

Ok, I know the haircut looks bad, but it's not.  I promise.  Papa is usually the one who doesn't his hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment