Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Little Cheese With That Whine?!



It is the beginning of the end, my friends. Up until now, I have been COMPLETELY infatuated with my baby. It was to a nauseating degree, really. Everything W did was oh! so cute and he could do no wrong. Even when he pooped while I was changing his diaper. CUTE! Golden showers. SUPER CUTE! Spit up...that was only kinda cute. Even his crying...the little water globes forming in the center of his eyes. Sigh. I love that.

But it's all downhill from here. I just know it. He's growing up and he's definitely experiencing growing pains. W is just downright frustrated right now. Like most everything else, it happened overnight. He was this happy, love to play by himself, jumperoo-crazed baby. Then WHAM!! Whine. Whine. Whine!!! It's not an outright cry. He's just whining. And it kills me that I don't know what he wants. Tummy time...no? Wanna sit up? Nope. How about the bouncer? Hates it! I know...you wanna jumperoo!!! You love jumperoo!! What? You hate jumperoo? Shit.

According to mommy forums, this is really common. I guess at this age, babies get frustrated because now they REALLY want to interact and explore but they just can't seem to get where they want to get!

What's worse is he's starting to experience separation anxiety AND stranger anxiety. I used to be able to leave the room and W would hardly notice, bouncing up and down in his jumperoo. It was awesome. Now, I have to sneak away while he's not looking. And that only buys me a couple minutes. Forget about it if he actually sees me leave. Whine. Whine. Whine!! I thought my baby didn't even like me! Perhaps he's just used to me. It happens. Whatever it is, it's heartbreaking. He just looks at me with his sad frowny eyes, presses his lips together and says, "Mommy, don't leave!" Tissue. I need tissue. And if he's not used to your face, oh boy. Get ready to hear the most heart-wrenching cry ever. We made the mistake of thinking that he will get used to the person if they carry him. Then I read that we shouldn't do that because babies are truly terrified of these "strangers" and the fear they feel is very real. *sniff* I'm sorry, baby, I didn't know.

We went to visit great-grandpa and all was okay...for about 20 seconds until...

Yup. This is what he did the entire time. Poor guy. Who are these people?!?! Waaaahhh!!!

Who is this person holding me!?!?! Please give me back to daddy!!!

If you can't fight 'em, join 'em.

I know this phase will pass and he will be back to pushing me away and ignoring me. So I'm trying not to take this sudden neediness for granted. It's kinda cute actually. Okay, so maybe it's not downhill just yet. Maybe this is parenthood. Loving your children so much that even when they make you crazy, it only intensifies the love you have for them.

Look who finally cried himself to sleep. Take a picture...quick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment